• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moderators and Moderation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:11 am Reply with quote
Que_Tol wrote:
when you wrote:
soi-disant.
i was like,
"WTF?"
Shocked

I must confess that that is the first time that that I have come across that particular term.

However, Que_tol, I would like to remind you (Respectfully, of course! Razz ) that the day one stops learning new things is the day that one starts to die.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal wrote:
on another note....

could you Abunai and Blood-
not use these really obscure words to mean what you say?

words like:

"moribund"

"paragon"

and

"soi-disant"

please.
please, not everyone here is a college graduate.

not everyone is a Mensa member.

please tone down on the sophisticated FRASIER-like grammar

I'm sorry but that is absolutely priceless that you are telling two posters to tone down their use of "sophisticated" words just because you can't understand them.

When all else fails...Look the word up. It takes only a few seconds.

Better yet, I'll make this easy for you:

mor·i·bund
   /ˈmɔrəˌbʌnd, ˈmɒr-/ Show Spelled[mawr-uh-buhnd, mor-]
–adjective
in a dying state; near death.
on the verge of extinction or termination.
not progressing or advancing; stagnant: a moribund political party.

par·a·gon
   /ˈpærəˌgɒn, -gən/ Show Spelled[par-uh-gon, -guhn]
–noun
a model or pattern of excellence or of a particular excellence.
Printing . a 20-point type.
an unusually large, round pearl.
–verb (used with object)
to compare; parallel.
to be a match for; rival.
Obsolete . to surpass.
Obsolete . to regard as a paragon.

soi-di·sant
   /swadiˈzɑ̃/ Show Spelled[swa-dee-zahn]
–adjective French .
calling oneself thus; self-styled.
so-called or pretended.

That took me less then a minute to look up.

Last edited by Rukiia on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:13 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal wrote:

could you Abunai and Blood-
not use these really obscure words to mean what you say?

words like:

"moribund"

"paragon"

and

"soi-disant"

please.
please, not everyone here is a college graduate.

not everyone is a Mensa member.

please tone down on the sophisticated FRASIER-like grammar.

Nothing wrong with learning new words. Learning new words is cool. "Moribund" and "paragon" are perfectly common words. Soi-disant is not... but that's fine. If you learn something new every day, it's not a wasted day.
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

However, Que_tol, I would like to remind you (Respectfully, of course! Razz ) that the day one stops learning new things is the day that one starts to die.

This.

Having an adequate, but by no means impressive command of the English language, I find it somewhat disheartening when I go a while without hearing a word I don't know. I had to look up soi-disant and I was pleased. There's something to be said for understandability & not being pedantic, but it's also desirable to be able to articulate one's'self succinctly.

Also, in most modern browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE8) - you can highlight & right-click on a word and the "search for" option comes up.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
DragonFire212 wrote:
Although that broccoli post does sound pretty bad.

You were probably playing going along with the joke, but in case you weren't, there is - was - no broccoli post. Now, I would upload my two-hundred page anti green vegetable manifesto*, but it's only a third done. I also need to get an editor to check it over before I eventually send it for peer-reviewing; maybe Zac has some free time?

Peas obviously are exempt from my wrath.

----------

Forgive me for being so lame as to get the thread back on topic, but I would like to query the Moderators on something. I'm a touch curious and, not being a cat, I think it should be pretty harmless to ask.

After a post is reported, no-one else can report it. Most of us probably knows that little bit of trivia. But today I did exactly that, about a day or two after the post in question had been initially reported. I know it had already been reported before because I had tried to report it, but with no success, at least initially. I wonder why the forum let me do this (i.e. report a post that had already been reported), and what had changed for it to let me do that. I doubt it is a bug. Can anyone help me?
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
i don't want to stray from the topic again but, i'll post this response to my fellow ANN members....

yes nbahn, living and learning go hand in hand...i'm not complaining about learning a new word, its just i have to go stop reading the forums to look for my dictionary.
*which is never where i last left it~O-O
my bedroom is a mess. need to complete Fall Cleaning*

Rukiia, thanks but i already looked those words up.
and its not that i don't understand those obscure words...its that no one does. you had to look them up yourself. they are that obscure.

lastly,DragonFire212, thanks for the info on the right click option for searching for the definition for the selected word.
Didn't even know that. I have Chrome, and i just thought it only had the spellchecker*which,BTW, i would be helpless without*

now i can right click the word you used in your post.that being-

pedantic
Confused

now, back to the topic at hand:
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
Que_Tal - sorry pal but it is up to you to rise, not us to descend. If you find the vocabulary around here too challenging, may I suggest the, oh, one or two billion internet sites at your level?
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
A few pages back, poilk92 inquired about checking on what the moderators' view of someone was ("if you were on their radar").

Is there a formal tracking system (even if private) for things like this? Or is moderation handled entirely based on moderator's assessments of people's posting and complaints from other users? I know some other sites I've been on actually had a formal "user rating" system which was publicly viewable, but I forget exactly how it worked. Other sites (like /.) have a "karma" system based on the merit of your posts.

Is there a way to know how good your "karma" is, other than the way people react to your posts in a thread, so you know what's up before the moderators start contacting you telling you to clean up your act?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
After a post is reported, no-one else can report it. Most of us probably knows that little bit of trivia. But today I did exactly that, about a day or two after the post in question had been initially reported. I know it had already been reported before because I had tried to report it, but with no success, at least initially. I wonder why the forum let me do this (i.e. report a post that had already been reported), and what had changed for it to let me do that. I doubt it is a bug. Can anyone help me?

If you are able to report a post after you know that it's been reported before then that most likely means that one of the Moderators has looked at the previous report, decided that the post either wasn't a problem or issued a behind-the-scenes warning, and then closed the report file.

DragonFire212 wrote:
Is there a formal tracking system (even if private) for things like this? Or is moderation handled entirely based on moderator's assessments of people's posting and complaints from other users? I know some other sites I've been on actually had a formal "user rating" system which was publicly viewable, but I forget exactly how it worked. Other sites (like /.) have a "karma" system based on the merit of your posts.

Is there a way to know how good your "karma" is, other than the way people react to your posts in a thread, so you know what's up before the moderators start contacting you telling you to clean up your act?

I hate user rating systems on other forums because they're subjective and prone to bias.

As far as knowing what your posting "karma" is like: if you're concerned, just PM a Mod. In the overwhelming majority of cases, though, if you're "on our radar" then you'd probably know it, as you've gotten either PM warnings, public chastisement by a Mod on more than one occasion, or both. As I write this I have one person who posts in the anime forum "on my radar" right now, but it's not anyone who's bright enough to ask questions like this.

As far as deciding whether or not to moderate someone is concerned, it is, indeed, based almost entirely on the bolded part above. Often we consult with each other before executing moderation or recommending someone for a ban, but in the former case we don't have to if there is a particularly egregious offense. For instance, one person recently got immediately moderated by me for cursing out one of the other mods in a post. (He later got banned and so won't get another chance to do that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
the only problem i've ever had here is when i made the mistake of necroposting on this Saint Seiya dvd review thread....i didn't want to necropost, but when i saw the reviewer give the dvd a bad score, i nearly lost my mind!

i went ballistic!!!

so a mod, i think it was Key, closed/locked the thread, but, but i just couldn't let it go.

So i PM'ed Key to continue the discussion, Key PM'ed back....and we went back and forth discussing the review of Seiya.

it was a great discussion/conversation that would have made for good reading for anyone coming across it in cyberspace....but unfortunately no one other than us two ever got the chance to see it, since it was PMs.

but Key was cool, because it was never like Key gave me an infraction or warning or anything like that. Key just locked the thread and informed me it was because i necroposted,...which i was guilty of.

thats all.

the worst moderations by moderators are on the GameSpot forums without question!
those mods are totally out of control Gestapo!

i got an infraction on day one of posting in their forums. on the first day i signed up and posted a question on how their "leveling up" system for posting worked, and i got an infraction for it.

there was absolutely no info on "leveling up" on their FAQS for their website, so i had to ask,...and i got punished for it.

i never posted in their forums after that.

those mods are total headhunters over there.
whoever is the head mod over there, doesn't know their job.

thats also why their forums suck.
their forums make for terrible reading since everyone of their posters have been intellectually and spiritually broken.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
that's nice to know KEY.

thanks for the information.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't too happy with how my "Forgotten Anime Thread was shut down". I also felt bad for the person who had their Kiss X Sis season 2 Thread locked as well for no real reason.

Mine was just asking for various animes that seem forgotten. But no one said "this will become list hell". then a moderator locked it.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
It looks like your Forgotten Thread list was shut down because it was just a list. There was no explanation or anything, other than "Here's some anime I think are forgotten!" Around here, we are expected to make posts with some meaning or substance to it, not just random lists. Besides, it was explained that those anime were hardly forgotten.

The season 2 Kiss X Sis thing was shut down as all of those types of posts are always locked as it's a purely speculative post. If there is a second, third, etc. season listed, ANN will be one of the first places to report it, and then discussion can start then.
Aoi_Sakaraba

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote
Well that's just ridiculous. to Both.

For mine I feel that listing a few still could have lead to a conversation.
I won't sit here and argue though...

AND NO its not truly explained that they were hardly forgotten. Got proof? Sure they might be "random" titles listed on someones thread from like 5 weeks ago for example, but they are not listed with characters to that specific anime.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
"Is there going to be more x" threads come up almost daily, and are mostly the first post from someone who just couldn't be bothered doing the research. There's enough of them there as warning signs for anyone who actually reads the forums before posting.

Lists has been banned for a long time. The very first name on your list, Chobits, has even been in the news recently. The reason you don't see much discussion is simply because most of what you can say about them has already been said and most of the active members here are watching and talking about newer things. If you think there is something about them that merits new discussion then go ahead - fans will come out of the woodwork to reminisce, especially in the case of Chobits as old fans and new fans alike pick up the BD and either watch or re-watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6