• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation II

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:29 am Reply with quote
Moving on to Turning Point 3:

Quoth the reviewer:

Quote:
He prophesies that Rudeus will regret it if he leaves his new home—and tries to tempt Rudeus by saying that he'll be able to get with one of the beast girls if he stays. While this annoys Rudeus more than anything else, it's enough to tip the balance in his mind and he decides to stay.

The way that is written suggests Rudy was partly swayed by the idea of getting with the beast girls. Man, I didn't read it that way at all. I think it was 49.9 on the side of going and 50.1 percent on the side of staying. I think it was the time factor that made the extremely slight difference, the fear that by the time he got there it wouldn't matter anyway and that the things lost could never been regained.

However, it was so close that it was pretty easy for Norn to tip things the other way. But again, I don't think the promise of sexual escapades played into the decision even to the tiniest degree. I could be wrong, but I'll just say that was 100% not my takeaway from the scenes presented. (Although it's completely predictable that the beast ladies would make their play for him, though. They looked pretty unhappy when Rudy announced he was marrying Sylphy.)

I'm hoping the regrets Man-God suggested turn out to be missed new powers or, again, opportunities for sex stuff Rudy could have enjoyed by staying. Because, I don't think those regrets would register very highly with the present-day Rudy. The dreams he has now do not revolve around becoming more powerful or getting some more action.

My fear is that the regrets will revolve around losing some of the friends close to him, or even Sylphy or the baby. If she dies in childbirth after he "abandoned" her.... Or what if Silent recklessly continues her experiments in his absence and triggers another displacement event.... Or what if....

Good grief, is it during this journey that he re-meets Eris? (Book readers, no spoilers, please.) Man, what a mess that potentially could be. I can't see Rudy navigating that minefield at all.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:59 am Reply with quote
Okay, this was the best episode of the season. Not the least of which is because I think this is the first time I genuinely hurt for Rudeus when he had to essentially make a choice that was going to leave him with some level of regret. Despite wanting to live a life of no regrets.

But as the Man God said, we all have to face regret. It's just a fact of life.

And of course this episode was as cruel as a Turning Point episode suggests. He finally has a happy life for himself, and it only gets better when he realizes he's going to be a father, which is what he always wanted. It only goes and gets cruelly snatched away when he has to go rescue his mother, leaving wife and child for over two full years -- assuming he comes back to life. But it's the right choice, he is only one that can do this. Sylphy has many people that can take care of her during her pregnancy.

You have to have an ice-cold heart to not feel for him when he has to make this choice, but it's a natural outcome for somebody who is now determined to be a Man for Others, which has been the theme since episode 1. It's not always easy, but it is right.

Also Aisha is an adorable little haggler.
jmckenna15

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
First, I sincerely apologize to Mami-kouga for the late response, after she took the time and energy to engage in this discussion with me. When I returned home on Friday I learned that a power box next to my place had burned out, and it still hasn't be repaired. So I had no computer to answer with.

Quote:
You're overreading my point I think. My point is that there's no reality where storming in and taking matters into your own hands like that (especially with how angry Rudeus was to the extent he was even considering fighting her teacher) and leaving her in said situation when he can't be by her side isn't the wisest idea no matter how you slice it especially with how shy Norn was. That she was able to still make friends after doesn't contradict this point because Rudeus did not actually get to go through with what he was thinking of doing. And my main point was that it's fine for Rudeus to make a bad choice based off emotions like that even if it's not smart in long term.

I agree, and indeed, the scene itself clearly presented Rudy as being in the wrong. It’s another mistake he makes, and again, he clearly takes it to heart and tries to learn from it. When he visits Norn just a bit later, he has already learned to put aside assumptions drawn solely from his own personal history in dealing with her. Instead for the first time he puts himself in the shoes of the brother who tried to help him. This empathy, which has been growing in him, allowed him to communicate his feelings to his own sister and assuage her fears.

Quote:
If a character being represented by the piece of panties that was stolen from her that she has no knowledge he is still holding onto a decade later like a weirdo isn't demeaning you and I have very different meanings of the word. There were many other things the author could have used to represent Rudeus respect for Roxy that wasn't her literal underwear, it's an act of pure self indulgence.

Well, to further clarify my thoughts, I have to admit that I take words pretty literally. So, yes, we do have very different meanings of the word demean. To demean someone is to diminish them, usually in their own eyes or possibly in the eyes of others. From this standpoint, the only one who could possibly be considered demeaned by stealing Roxie's panties is Rudy himself.

Roxy in no way feels diminished by Rudy stealing her panties, and no one else thinks less of her either.

Yeah, him still holding onto Roxy's panties is the furthest thing from demeaning her, and the show has gone to noticeable lengths to show that. The mere fact that they have their own altar -- like a religious artifact -- serves to represent how much Roxy means to Rudeus. Not only that, the Red Spot being there as well (weird as it may be) shows how much Sylphy means to him as well. Roxy made him less scared of the world around him, it was the most important moment of his childhood and put him on the path to where he is today. Sylphy made him trust people again, he realized she was never going to hurt or abandon him. They both gave him something important and he wants to make sure he can give something back -- whatever that may be. Give props to the writing for turning something that could have just been a recurring horny gag and insert a deeply meaningful message behind it.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am Reply with quote
Quoth jmckenna15:

Quote:
Not only that, the Red Spot being there as well (weird as it may be) shows how much Sylphy means to him as well.

I'm an anime only, but do the books possibly indicate this is a thing people do in that world? I mean, is does seem *very* weird, but then they used to hang bloody sheets out for public display to show a bride was a virgin on her wedding night. There are a lot of weird rituals and such built around sex, in pretty much all times and cultures.

I agree with jmckenna15 that Rudy hasn't really (if ever) shown any prurient interest in the Holy Relic in quite a long time. I imagine he'll ditch them eventually. If not, I expect he'll just hide them away somewhere. I know he got nervous when Syphy (or was it "Fritz"?) asked about their container.
FanGamer24

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:23 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
Quoth jmckenna15:

Quote:
Not only that, the Red Spot being there as well (weird as it may be) shows how much Sylphy means to him as well.

I'm an anime only, but do the books possibly indicate this is a thing people do in that world? I mean, is does seem *very* weird, but then they used to hang bloody sheets out for public display to show a bride was a virgin on her wedding night. There are a lot of weird rituals and such built around sex, in pretty much all times and cultures.

I agree with jmckenna15 that Rudy hasn't really (if ever) shown any prurient interest in the Holy Relic in quite a long time. I imagine he'll ditch them eventually. If not, I expect he'll just hide them away somewhere. I know he got nervous when Syphy (or was it "Fritz"?) asked about their container.

Considering every time someone sees the shrine they get creeped out I'm going to assume it's not. It's just Rudy's own bizarre way of showing appreciation for the people who have helped him the most. It's very much just for him and not something other people are meant to be aware of.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quoth FamGamer24:

Quote:
Considering every time someone sees the shrine they get creeped out I'm going to assume it's not.

How many people have seen the shrine? And of those who had, how many were terrified by being in a room with an enraged guy who's a candidate for The Most Powerful Man in the World rather than being creeped out? I loved how what really freaked out LInia and Pursena was seeing how panicked Julie and the nigh-invulnerable Zenoba were. Man, that was a great bit.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Rudy has a lot of things he could end up regretting whether he leaves or not, but some interesting regrets he's likely to face now that he's resolved to go might include:

- Given Nanahoshi asks Rudy to continue helping with her experiments (which he will no longer be able to contribute to - possibly leading to great catastrophe),
- Rudy will never finish writing the stories that will make more people accept Rujierd (could lead to Rujierd's Death or make it more difficult if they re-unite on this different continent,),
- the ominous meeting between Badi and Rujierd (possible future conflict),
- the obvious probability of Rudeus meeting up with Eris and the emotional reckoning that comes with their reunion, and
- missing the birth of his first child - while the friends and family there might support her, what happens if it's not "just" 2 years, what if the journey lasts 2, 4, 6 or more years?

It'll be interesting to see what happens next, and him departing opens up the story to go in many directions, so hopefully things work out going forward!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
This wasn't immediately the most dramatic Turning Point but I feel like it was also a culmination of how much Rudy has grown and come into his own as an adult and as a man that now things don't quite happen to him, he has to make his own choices and live with those consequences. Especially when he's juggling his duty as a son and the one he has to his new family with Sylphie.

Also, credit to Yumi Uchiyama doing her utmost to sound as older and masculine as possible even though by all logic they probably should have switched to a male seiyuu by this point. At the same time, I wouldn't even mind her carrying through until Rudy is an old man just because she's stuck with the role for so long.

Seeing Norn talking with Rudy and getting along with him brings a tear to my eye.

Aisha weaponizing those little sister puppy dog eyes is going to be really dangerous. At least it's nice to see her get treated like a sister instead of a maid and she and Norn are having a relatively more normal sisterly rivalry.

Congrats on Sylphie becoming a mom on Mother's Day! She's officially an Ai Kayano MILF. In an episode that also re-centered on the quest to free Zenith and even mentions Zanoba's mom.

Ginger deserves better than being sold for a Roxy figurine.

The Man-God was always kind of shady but now how much he's willing to twist things or not be explicit with Rudy become even more obvious, and Rudy is finally railing against him. Also good on Rudy for not wanting to cheat on Sylphie.

I do get the sense that, while Rudy will ultimately succeed, there will be consequences he could not have foreseen in that moment. Will something happen to Sylphie and the baby? Will Rudy be gone far longer than he expected and miss a lot of his childs' development? What was the gain in sleeping with Linia or Pursena (obtaining their peoples' loyalty)? Will Nanahoshi be okay on her own?

I don't know why but I just found it interesting that Zenith in Rudy's fantasy was getting cuddly with Paul. I always got the sense that intimacy between the two of them was never the same after he cheated on her with Lilia.

Also it was really sad to see Elinalise decide to break up with Cliff. She seemed like she was willing to make the relationship work but now thinks they're better off apart because they're so different and it was just a childish fancy. She's probably lying to herself but I feel like Cliff won't let her leave him like that. Could he propose? Or just tell her he'll wait for her and perfect the device to lessen her curse no matter who else she sleeps with in the meantime?

Sylphie is a supportive wife but it's Norn really putting things into perspective for Rudy that helps him make his decision. Norn has really come into her own and it says a lot that Rudy had enough faith in her to leave her in charge of everything his stead.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping this Turning Point episode wasn't going to be like the last two, so I was happy to see that was the case this week. Good episode overall and looking forward to see how things turn out. I wonder if we'll get some time skips this time and skip the traveling adventures?
Rudy really needs to learn some kind of fast travel magic Laughing
Satonamba

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I was hoping this Turning Point episode wasn't going to be like the last two, so I was happy to see that was the case this week.

The first turning point was the the teleportation accident which impacted everybody, in particular Rudeus and Eris. It was an exterior event.
The second was the encounter with Orsted which didn't seem to change the course of events: maybe it was the cause for Eris decision to leave, leading to have a great impact on Rudeus following actions. Still something exterior to his will.
This one is based on his decision and, the fact that the previous choice "going to the academy or not" wasn't presented as a "turning point" seems to indicate that Rudeus choice to not follow Hitogami's advises is the real turning point, i'm curious to know why.

Next episode is May 26, the "Teleportation Labyrinth arc" is probably related to the book Fits advised him to read in episode 5.
Telu

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:
The producers are speedrunning the novel, holy...
The characters art's was really inconsistent this episode, the only thing that save this episode was the background art, those artist are really good.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Thus sayeth Richard:

Quote:
Poor Sylphy. Not only is she pregnant for the first time while her Grandmother and Husband are away, but she also has to take care of two kids.

I strongly disagree, on a number of grounds. Caring for Rudy's sisters gives Sylphy something to do--she obviously wouldn't be resuming bodyguarding in her condition--thus reducing the chances that she herself would plunge into melancholy. It will be good practice to burnish her parenting skills, although admittedly not so much for caring for an infant. Also, aside from the Princess and Luke, Sylphy doesn't have a ton of friends at the school, especially since most of the other people there knew her as Silent Fitz. Having other people in the house will be good for her.

Meanwhile, it will give the girls something to focus on as well, and presumably strengthen their various family bonds. It will probably help their own relationship, since it would highly bad form for them to keep sniping at one another when it would obviously effect Sylphy. Aisha will have even more reason to caretake and keep things running smoothly until her niece or nephew arrives (or, hopefully, Rudy returns first). Norn will also want to pitch in, especially since Rudy departed at her bequest. All together, I think having a common goal will help all three of them.

By the way, I really liked the bit with Aisha in the (I think) last episode when she asked Rudy to take her shopping. Her patent, dewy-eyed manipulation of him was hilarious (he knew what she was doing, but of course doted on her none the less). Moreover, any risk that she would be pigeon-holed as a simple schemer was happily softened by the scene following, where she was genuinely ecstatic to look upon the curtains that are her first real possession. The show maintains its way better than normal characterization by not making much of anyone a simple one-note character.
SinisterOracle

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nanahoshi gives him access to a teleport gate, turning a years-long round trip into a months-long one.

Is this really a yearslong journey though? If the teleportation circle was not available, the journey alone would take 16 months (a year and a quarter). Yearslong implies longer than two years and I doubt Rudeus would need to fight that much longer to free Zenith (who has been inconspicuous so it’s rather difficult to care about her part of the story. It feels like she is an afterthought in all of this despite knowing Paul has been searching for her for a long time).
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People don't generally ride draft horses because their backs are so wide that it hurts to have your legs spread so far apart in that position for long periods—like say a full day of riding through the woods.

Pretty sure that thing is not a problem for Elinalise.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2024 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Glad grandma and grandson-in-law can mutually agree they don't want to sleep together.

Sylphie is a very supportive and loving wife but you can tell deep down she didn't want Rudy to go and leave her and their child. Those tears at the farewell hit hard.

They were raising so, so many flags in this episode...none moreso than Rudy's kid being named "Rudeus Jr." if he doesn't make it in time for the birth.

The fact that Elinalise still hadn't talked to Cliff or broken up with him basically confirmed her heart wasn't in ending things with him. And that he genuinely wants to make her a married woman, despite everything, and will always love her means everything to her. Elinalise has probably never believed she could be a true wife or stable family situation with her curse, but Cliff believes in her and in them as a couple. I also imagine he's probably one of, if not the only, men she's ever professed her love to and called out to her in sleep.

Rudy's efforts in maxing out the Nanahoshi social link has finally gained him fast travel.

Ha, Orsted stashes his clothes in places just like normal people.

Rudy will never live down asking his grandma-in-law to bang him under the influence of a succubus. Also, funny to think that it's not just Rudy and Elinalise but also Hideki and Chi.

That's kind of cute that Paul was the one who recruited Zenith, I wonder if that played a part in her feelings for him. Also, what did Paul do that turned his party against him so much? We know he sexually harassed Ghislaine and I can imagine he did the same to Elinalise, but it seems like more than that. Did he try to sleep with one of her kids? Elinalise also seems really fond of Zenith so maybe that's connected.

Compared to season 1 and the first half of season 2 where they treated Elinalise' sexcapades as a fun diversion and fanservice, here it's more resigned and cold, probably because she would rather do anything than sleep with men that aren't Cliff but she can't help herself. I can imagine he was on her mind the entire time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 66 of 66