• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ninja Kamui

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 really felt like the sharpest demonstration of this show yet, the best encapsulation of its highest highs and its lowest lows; in essence, a showing of what it can be when (almost) wholly on and every prior episode that wasn't quite like so, even worse.

Higan's and Joe's fights was staggeringly transfixing. Beyond being a return to ninja fisticuffs form, it drives that home with a myriad of different perspectives, and really "cinematic" cuts. Multiple sequences reminded me of what I've seen in some of his most compelling cuts on Jujutsu Kaisen except still feeling fresh. (Also, a reminder of how eager I am to get to that when I eventually do.) It truly felt like seeing them fight in a voluminous, 3D arena, and the way their POV perspectives worked did feel a little weird at times but did a real good job of making both of their desperate minds known -- to say nothing of how fluidly those transitioned to other parts of the fight. Or how, while it didn't have the hardest impact, their ground-breaking blows landed with such intensity I wish we had for the Gusoku Gear-using fights. Granted those were also working with even thinner groups rather than the ones we've been focusing on. Can't say with certainty at the moment that the rotoscoping as he pummeled Zai near the end was his doing, but it was simply beautiful. That all of this comes with giving Zai an actual character is pretty helpful too.

Running parallel to all of that was some of the most boring flashbacks I've seen, made out of sketches of characters, and were too uninteresting for me to get engaged in. Indeed, as has almost every single "civilian" type scene so far (Emma and Mike's scenes were painfully cheesy in a way that felt clashing, but worked). They're not much to write home about, and feel like loose strands connecting the actually important part -- which is true on the audiovisual level since that is why I signed up, but the order really should be reversed here, and was in something like ZOM 100, Undead Girl Murder Farce, and a bunch of others I can name -- which means they just drag everything down. Indeed, as genuinely fun as it was watching Joseph scurry about like a scared child who can also no longer play with his toys, the expressiveness outside of the movement and perspective really wasn't there. The designs, the art direction, and their moment-to-moment shots are far too blocky, "mature" adult cartoon like I can find with some cartoons over in the US. More like what I've seen of Voltron: Legendary Defender, various superhero cartoons, and especially the first two seasons of Castlevania, as opposed to Scavengers Reign that operates in this sphere while feeling so much more alive. While he gets there, Joseph just can't look pathetic enough to fully sell me, and I've similar issues with much of every other clash surrounding the two "traitors" to Yamaji, and the man himself (although Joseph getting tossed really landed).

At any rate, this is the most fun the show's been in weeks which is pretty nice, and we're on track for a pleasant wrap-up.
Delphisage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay maybe I was slightly confused in my earlier post. Jason is the name of the tech guy the good guys are dragging around, Joseph is the name of the techbro villain running Auza.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Jason, Joseph, and our hero Joe. Sheesh, this is almost as bad as Ajin's Kei, Kai, and Kou (not to be confused with Kouji, or Kido, Kondou, Kouma, Kita, or Kuroki).
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Delphisage wrote:
Okay maybe I was slightly confused in my earlier post. Jason is the name of the tech guy the good guys are dragging around, Joseph is the name of the techbro villain running Auza.
I was confused by this at first too, but I remember that Jason is modeled after Jason DeMarco and that helps. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
Is this series supposed to be 12 or 13 episodes? I hadn't been paying too close of attention to the episode count until episode 11 where it really emphasized that there is simultaneously too much and too little going on in the series.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
Even without the title CGI outfits, the fight between Higan and Zai was kinda boring. It kept going with a big coreograhpy but the director forgot that people are supposed to bleed among other stuff in order to give weight to their actions. Kinda like how Goku vs Frieza went from insane to dumb as the two character kept punching each other for dozens of episodes and had no longer body parts left to damage.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914: Show got confirmed for 13 episode by DeMarco mentioning on Twitter this 16th, how "It’s true, we contemplated 12 in the beginning but realized we needed 13 to wrap up the story right.".

Incidentally, apparently we're getting a sidescroller beat-em-up based on the game, NINJA KAMUI: SHINOBI ORIGINS. Nice timing.

Review wrote:
Paragraph on techbro loser

I'm not sure I'd call it a misfire if it's part of a necessary build-up for his own coup de grâce. We've never been made to like the guy, laugh at him at best; real bait-and-switch just for the real tantrum of a showdown, and/or the real offing by Yamaji or Higan (after Dilly bites the dust) vibes to me. He's still got something left to do about exploiting Yamaji's efforts in his own mercenary way.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:01 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Greed1914: Show got confirmed for 13 episode by DeMarco expressly mentioning "It’s true, we contemplated 12 in the beginning but realized we needed 13 to wrap up the story right.", April 16th.

Incidentally, apparently we're getting a sidescroller beat-em-up based on the game, NINJA KAMUI: SHINOBI ORIGINS. Nice timing.

Review wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call it a misfire if it's part of a necessary build-up for his own coup de grâce. We've never been made to like the guy, laugh at him at best; real bait-and-switch just for the real tantrum of a showdown, and/or the real offing by Yamaji or Higan (after Dilly bites the dust) vibes to me. He's still got something left to do about exploiting Yamaji's efforts in his own mercenary way.

I'm still expecting it to lead to something along the lines of Joseph in a suit that basically turns him into a ninja. Escaping Yamaji would be pointless if it wasn't leading to a showdown with Higan, though I would have been satisfied with Yamaji succeeding. We once again hear about the "data" Joseph got and how his technology will be an evolution for humanity. I have to think that will lead us to what is truly the perfected form of the Gusoku gear.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Joseph ended up getting away with his traitor activity and trouncing Yamaji and co., though given Yamaji's focus I'm speculating he'll be the entrée to the Yamaji-pulverizing dessert. Likewise expecting a Gusoku Gear+ situation, or him otherwise weaponizing... I dunno, a substantial chunk of Auza City itself, in his self-destructive and impulsive nature. I could also see something akin to it, but functionally distinct, given his lack of respect for Yamaji, the ninja, and everyone else but those that play his game.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:38 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
Greed1914: Show got confirmed for 13 episode by DeMarco expressly mentioning "It’s true, we contemplated 12 in the beginning but realized we needed 13 to wrap up the story right.", April 16th.

Review wrote:

I'm still expecting it to lead to something along the lines of Joseph in a suit that basically turns him into a ninja. Escaping Yamaji would be pointless if it wasn't leading to a showdown with Higan, though I would have been satisfied with Yamaji succeeding. We once again hear about the "data" Joseph got and how his technology will be an evolution for humanity. I have to think that will lead us to what is truly the perfected form of the Gusoku gear.

If it's having a second cour, then maybe this series can be saved from how downhill it recently went with a certain death, the handling of the recent fight and the poor CGI.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
I wondered if Park originally wanted more episodes but Adult Swim didn't let him. Something I couldn't stop laughing about was how they used symbolism of the main character but always covering his butt. Guess they were promoting blue boxers
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:16 pm Reply with quote
That climactic fight was definitely on the anticlimactic side, despite all of the flair. Which about sums up my thought on the episode, and series as a whole. With Joseph I feel like the implication is that, absent his bodyguard and completely inwardly disgraced, boy vs man, he may as well be dead inside. Which I do like, not just because it gives me something I've been wanting to see beyond the moral victory (that feels like second-fiddle, considering our antagonists were always bad and evil and in the wrong, except for Zai who got brainwashed, and our protagonists were, of course, always good and just and in the right), but something to like about the show at the end; it doesn't feel very committed even thinking through that lens though. Obvious sequel bait, Joseph didn't even get bloodied, it's a half-measure even sliced preferably.

I also would have liked to see Higan and Zai walking out of AUZA City together. It'd have given a good excuse to see the disrepair and environmentally emphasize how clearly, wholly they all lost, all while being underscored by exactly what the review brought up. Also they're, you know, friends, who won because of companionship. The flash forward to Higan still going about his way just feels... utterly empty. Unsurprising, but empty. Excellent and eye-catching sakuga at a lot of points, but even emptier than I expected after the initial re-evaluation. So it goes sometimes.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I did have a fun time with Ninja Kamui overall, but I will admit that it had been dulled a bit now that we got to the finale. I'm glad that I did see it, and if by some miracle it comes out on physical media I'm sure I'll likely buy it, but if it doesn't, I won't be too disappointed either.

I'm glad that Higan got the finale that he did. After all he had lost and gone through, him riding off into a future unknown seemed pretty fitting. I doubt it'll be the last time we'll see him, as the final few minutes of the show did seem to set up for a season 2, though. If we do get a 2nd season, I feel like Zai is going to be the main focus, and that would be great. I'd love to see him figure out a new purpose as well, although for better or worse remains to be seen.

That said... it really did feel like we went rushing in and didn't get a fully finished story for everyone else, and I do wonder if that is because there's a plans for another season or the story wanted to make sure to hit the main beats. I'm glad Mike was able to apprehend Joseph, but as was said in the show, we know he's going to come back. There's no way that there won't be someone else wanting to use him and his tech, so Joseph will return in one way or another in the future. As for Mike, I really wanted to see him perhaps retire. Maybe go to visit Emma's grave to tell her of their success (I still hate that sentence; I'm still upset with how she was killed off, as I would've loved for her to move on, perhaps even being willing to help Zai with finding his new path forward), have him go home and erect something in her honor to give her some sense of a "home" that she didn't have as a ninja. I dunno, I felt like there was more that we could've seen there. There is also the complains I had in general with things like Big D and Dilly being killed off so quickly, Yamaji's plan only really being said in the last episode, the clunky animation in several of the fights (namely with the gusoku gear)... A lot of these weren't necessarily bad, but they weren't very good either.

Out of all of the original shows for Toonami/Adult Swim, I think Ninja Kamui is one of the better outings, but I think it also shows how tough it can be to create original content as well. I can't say any of them were certified bangers. At least, I'll give it a B-/C+. It's good, but not great. For me, that's fine enough.
Glordit

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Adult Swim managed to fumble another show? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked! /s
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately I agree with the review that I enjoyed the show and yet by July, it'll probably be a hazy memory. I just really wish the rest of the show lived up to the promise of the first few episodes. And no, said episodes were not at all deep but they looked much cooler is what I'm getting at, I guess. Literally every one of the 2D fights was miles above the 3D suit fights and I don't know why they were ever there. I'd say "they were there to give everybody superpowers" but that doesn't exactly fit when basically the entire premise is a guy coming back from the dead and then promptly busting out a wild 6-arm jutsu in episode 1. Like, yeah, an armor suited ninja is a cool idea, but you don't have to do it in 3D.

Agreed that it's kind of a shame that this was Park's first big project. Hopefully we're not going to see that he's a one-trick pony and cool fights are all that's in the tank.

Glordit wrote:
Adult Swim managed to fumble another show? I'm shocked I tell you! Shocked! /s

I came here to go "nuh uh!" but then during the course of typing this post I realized that even the stuff I've liked that they've done have whiffed the finales. But hey, I'm sure that Rick and Morty The Anime will turn it all arouHAHAHA I can't finish it's too ludicrous...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5