• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tonari no Yōkai-san

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It turns out that the strain of dealing with the old-school politics of her bakegitsune has estranged Yuri from her entire family for years, and it has been breaking her heart to see Buchio have such a warm and loving relationship with his loved ones.

As somebody who has very similar family issues, I was dreading that the moral of this week's episode would be, "You just need to go talk to your estranged racist, bigoted family, and everything will turn out fine," because that's absolutely not how it ever works out in real life. I do wonder if there's going to be more to that, or if "It's fine for things to stay as they are, at least you're not trapped in an alternate universe where everybody thinks you're a monster" is going to be the conclusion to that plot thread...
q_3

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if human Yuri is estranged from her family too, and if so what horrible family tradition she's fleeing in that reality. Otherwise it would be odd for her to end up in the exact same living situation.
moony_badger

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The pacing of this show is so interesting, since the slice of life bits get so much nice breathing time but the big plot points get a bit rushed along. It was the same issue with the Jiro and the Snake episode, where just so much plot got pushed into one episode that it didn't really get the breathing time it needed. It does still mostly work though! In an ideal world I think leaving the episode on a cliffhanger would have been stronger, but I still get and like what it's going for. I wonder if that's a result of them trying to push too much into their runtime or if the manga had similar pacing issues.

I still really enjoyed the episode though! Shoutout to Buchio putting his face sadly in his mug after he and Yuri have their fight, and honorable mention to the Yokai astronaut we saw on the tv.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:05 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Stranger Things inspired arc incoming, I can feel it].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Jiro seems to be acting as a substitute father for Mutsumi. I don't think their relationship will go further than that? I certainly hope not
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
As a Natsume’s Book of Friends mega-fan this is definitely the show for me. Other than AiPri it’s my favorite new show of the season so far.

This is all I needed to hear! Also a big Natsume fan so I’m definitely gonna check this one out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2